Government Museum was established in the year 1874, by Late F. S. Growse, the then collector of Mathura. It was then known as Curzon Museum of Archaeology, which later came to be known as Archaeology Museum, Mathura. It was further changed to the Government Museum, Mathura.
The museum aims to present a broad view of the early Mathura or Braj culture through its collection of pottery, sculptures, paintings, coints and other antiquities. The rich treasure of antiquarian values unearthed by Cunnigham, Growse, Fuhrer and others.
Regional in character its scope was limited primarily to the archeological finds from Mathura and adjoining area, the vast collection includes stone sculptures, basreliefs, architecural fragments and inscriptions etc. various faiths and creeds. Besides a good number of coins, there are thousands of terracottas, inscribed bricks, pottery pieces, clay seals, bronze objects and paintings etc. mostly hailing from Mathura region.
The museum has the richest and by far the most important collection of Mathura School of Sculptures of 3rd century B.C. to 12th century A. D. which attained the pinnacle of glory during the reign of Great Kushan and Gupta Emperors. The museum serves as a valuable reference for the study of Indian Art and Iconography.
Source: Directory of Cultural Organisations in India